Wednesday 21 September 2011

Big City Life


Living in a big city can be intimidating, I mean in my life I have lived in a few places as well as studying abroad. New York and Paris were on my stops and I can tell you that they were magical, but apart from being magical they were very intimidating. They are huge cities and if you are not careful you could get swallowed up in one foul gulp. What I am getting at now is that my work brought me to South Africa’s biggest city Johannesburg, I had a conference to attend and needed to get involved with finding property in Johannesburg for businesses and potential clients, many of them, had Rivonia property on the mind, but there was a lot to look at.

Now when comparing New York to JHB of course New York is far larger, but that doesn’t mean that the mighty city of JHB is any less intimidating. For me it may even be more. It is if the life here is 10 times faster than any other city in Africa it is rather scary if you don’t get your bearings straight. But what I can say is that I am at an advantage and thus can give some advice. Having traveled a lot and seeing the hustle and bustle of the world I can take a minute to look at the city and being proudly South African I can look at this great city with love. JHB is a great place, life is never dull and the culture of Africa is as strong here as anywhere else in South Africa. Just drifting wide to Soweto and what was once an intimidating township for people is now a world tourist attraction. I mean during the 2010 World Cup I spent many a day and night celebrating there after watching a match at Soccer City.

JHB is a hot spot for professionals and many young, including myself, professionals are drawn here to make a greater difference and impact on the business world. I mean just going out with my colleges on a Friday after work all the hot spots are abuzz with people in work attire, whether they are networking or just blowing off steam, it is clear that JHB holds something that other South African cities just fall short of. Yes there may not be an ocean, but that’s what holidays are for and you have your whole life to live by the sea. There may be traffic but what city worth living in doesn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment